Bill Belew has raised 2 bi-cultural kids, now 34 and 30. And he and his wife are now parenting a 3rd, Mia, who is 8.
Singapore is just 4.5 million people strong. China has a couple dozen cities each with more people than the whole country of Singapore.
So why do multinationals head for this tiny little country on the equator?
1. Economic Development Board (EDB) will kick in on staff-training costs, research grants, and equity capital. Ask HP.
2. Singapore offers generous tax breaks.
3. Singapore offers affordable land.
4. Singaporeans speak English, very well, thank you AND Chinese. Is there a need for Chinese/English speakers in the business world these days?
5. EDB will hire consultants and interview prospective execs in anticipation of need.
6. Siltronics of Germany picked Singapore for a $1 billion plant.
7. Lucasfilm will put an animation studio there.
8. Matsushita will put a plant there to make 42 inch plus plasma TVs.
9. Rolls-Royce has a fuel-cell development venture there
10. BMW has an auto design studio there.
11. Local universities teamed up with the EDB and agreed to cover the costs of Denmark’s VESTAS Wind Systems R & D.
12. Singapore has a clear strategy of creating policies to meet the needs of multinationals BEFORE they are needed.
How about you and your business?