Bill Belew has raised 2 bi-cultural kids, now 34 and 30. And he and his wife are now parenting a 3rd, Mia, who is 8.
Dr. Kai-fu Lee is the Vice President, Engineering and President of Google China.
In a recent panel discussion at the Committee of 100 , Dr. Lee shared a prescription for US Companies who want to be better at doing business in China.
1. Embrace the reality that for businesses to succeed in China a local presence is critical – Chinese still prefer US companies – especially those that are in China.
2. Realize that wages in China will eventually reach an equilibrium AND that’s good because competition breeds excellence. ( I once debated this issue with the Russian Professor of Communism – okay, another blog entry on another day.)
3. The US must develop more bi-cultural leaders.
4. The US must help students find a passion for China.
5. US students must study more about China. (Chinese students for their part must develop their EQ and leadership skills.)
On this note about studying more about each other’s country, Dr. Lee offered this very sobering statistic –
There are 60,000 Chinese students in the US.
Compare that to 3,000 US students studying in China.
America…we’re going to get our butts kicked…..
What do you think?