Bill Belew has raised 2 bi-cultural kids, now 34 and 30. And he and his wife are now parenting a 3rd, Mia, who is 8.
The rice exporters are not the same as the rice producers. Oh, the countries are the same, but the countries that have enough left over to send some off are different.
Absent from the export list though they are among the world’s biggest producers are Japan, Brazil, Philippines, Bangladesh and Indonesia.
The top nine rice exporting countries are:
9. Australia – 0.8% of the total rice exports
8. Myanmar – 0.8%
7. Uruguay – 3.1% I didn’t even know they grew rice in South American other than in Brazil.
6. China – 3.4% Though they are number one in production, it doesn’t seem there is enough left over for export.
5. Pakistan – 7.2%
4. India – 10%
3. U.S.A. – 11.5% Number 11 in production but number three in exports.
2. Vietnam – 15.3%
1. Thailand – 38% Thailand is only sixth in production yet it supplies almost 40% of the world’s rice needs. Unfortunately, it doesn’t taste very good, I think.
What do you think?