Bill Belew has raised 2 bi-cultural kids, now 34 and 30. And he and his wife are now parenting a 3rd, Mia, who is 8.
My parents are role model for me. I am blessed to have both parents by my side, guiding, motivating, encouraging, praying, cheering for me each day. I am Blessed! Both my mom and Dad are hard working individuals.
This post is about my DAD. My Dad is a college drop-out. He had to start earning for the family in young age and couldn’t afford to continue his education any further because of the financial conditions. He is extremely hard working. My dad is a business owner today and has been one since last 20 years. I have seen my dad struggling a lot sometimes but he never frowned about it. Always smiling and happy and just working hard each day. He is a diligent worker. He has taught me a lot of things.
- Values- family values are important part of me and my brother upbringing. We were always taught to be honest and hard working and do our good ‘karma’ every day and leave the results on god.
- Faith in God- My dad taught us to have immense faith in God and he always lead by example. He goes to temple once a week without fail, never misses that.
- Work hard- success doesn’t come in life easy is what he teaches us till date. Even today after establishing his business, If he has to work 18 hours a day- he does it with no sweat.
- Enjoy life- when I was little, he would always tell us “you should enjoy life as it comes. Don’t live in your past as it is gone. you can not fix what has happened. Plan but don’t worry too much about your future. some things are not in your hand. Live your present! Cheer with your family. Spend time and live the moments with your family. Good time spent can always be cherished in your future.
- Don’t worry about your future doesn’t mean Don’t plan. He says we should always plan for our future. Save for the rainy day. I picked up his habit of saving every month little by little and believe me, it helped me a lot.
- He gives a lot of importance to education- Because my Dad was never able to finish his college degree. he made sure me and my brother both of us are well educated. He sent me here in United States and my brother is well on his way to finish is diploma in animation, after which he will proceed for higher education.
These some of these teachings I picked up, because he taught us every day. he is very loving Dad who would anything or everything for his family. His dignity, courage, enthusiasm, hope and belief has made him my hero.
Meanwhile, also check out others post on Dooverdad. One post particularly touched my heart. check it out for yourself.
Healthy Wealthy Witty team!
Talk to Bill and others about their experiences raising bi-cultural Japanese-American kids.