Bill Belew has raised 2 bi-cultural kids, now 34 and 30. And he and his wife are now parenting a 3rd, Mia, who is 8.
Yahoo’s stock prices are a four-year low. Just last week the company, right down the street from where I live, laid off 1000 workers.
The company seems vulnerable. The vultures are circling.
1. Microsoft wants to buy Yahoo! for about $42 billion. Steve Ballmer says he won’t take no for an answer. “We are confident it’s the right path for Microsoft and Yahoo.” It wasn’t the right path a year ago. Yahoo says they will study MS’s offer “carefully and promptly.”
2. News Corp is a possible suitor.
3. InterActiveCorp is another.
4. Apple, Inc and its CEO, Steve Jobs are located on the other end of Mathilda Ave where it becomes Sunnyvale/Saratoga then De Anza, um, about 3 miles away from Yahoo’s headquarters. There might be a match there, too.
5. China’s search leader Baidu.com Inc. is a potential buyer.
6. China’s e-commerce conglomerate, Alibaba.com is another. Yahoo owns 40% of Alibaba. The kid can now buy out the parent.
The money is on Microsoft and the company’s deep pockets.
But Jerry Yang and Steve Jobs are neighbors. They may want to keep things here in the Valley so to speak.
In any event, it’s Google, love ’em or hate ’em, that’s got Yahoo looking for a suitor, shotgun or otherwise.
Who do you think would make the best match?