Bill Belew has raised 2 bi-cultural kids, now 34 and 30. And he and his wife are now parenting a 3rd, Mia, who is 8.
The Year of the Pig will start later this month in China- February 18th.
It is the last year in the Chinese 12 year cycle and is considered a lucky year, a good year to have babies.
Not only do the Chinese have a 12 year cycle, but there is also a 5 year cycle – gold, wood, water, fire and earth.
This coming year will be the Golden Pig year.
Couples that are married last year and have been diligently practicing, I assume, with the express purpose of having kids this year…making them golden piggies (gives new meaning to the phrase making bacon)….round and plump – fullness and excellence.
Companies are gearing up for this golden baby boom as well.
1. What about the burden on the hospitals that will come this year?
2. What about 3, 4 and 5 years down the road when all these little market goers try to get into kindergarten and many will be turned away?
3. What about when all these little porkers compete to get into the best elementary, middle and secondary schools?
4. What about when all these little piggies start fighting to get into college?
5. And, of course, what about when it comes time for them to take a turn at finding a job to make their own bacon?
Will they all think they were born in a lucky year then?
What do you think?