Bill Belew has raised 2 bi-cultural kids, now 34 and 30. And he and his wife are now parenting a 3rd, Mia, who is 8.
China has more believers than most countries have people.
I learned these 12 facts about China’s believers.
1. The official estimate of number of believers in China is about 100 million.
2. The actual number of believers is about three times that much …baes on a survey by professors at East China Normal University.
3. The five major religions are: Buddhism, Taoism, Catholicism, Christianity and Islam. Catholicism and Christianity do NOT belong in the same group.
4. 66.1% of all believers are Buddhist, Taoist or worship the Dragon King, GOd of Fortune or other legendary figures.
5. There are an estimated 40 million Christians in China, up from 10 million in the 90s, 16 million in 2005.
6. One-fourth of believers site religion as showing “the true path of life” for their reason to believe.
7. 28% say religion “helps cure illness, avoid disasters and ensure that life is smooth”.
8. China’s believers are NOT limited to the countryside.
9. Social problems confronting Chinese in this time of change is at the root of a growth in number of believers.
10. About 62% of believers are between 16 and 39-years of age.
11. Less than 10% are over 55.
12. Almost three-fourths of believers say they are happier now than when they had no faith.
How about you? What do you believe in and what difference has it made in your life?
Talk to Bill and others about their experiences raising bi-cultural Japanese-American kids.