Bill Belew has raised 2 bi-cultural kids, now 34 and 30. And he and his wife are now parenting a 3rd, Mia, who is 8.
I was reading this article – Benefits of being bilingual: Why we should learn a second language. And I counted 16 reasons why you should want to be bilingual.
There might be more but I forget sometimes what comes after 16.
Here’s the list.
1. Have access to two cultures. They have more access if they are multilingual.
2. Are more tolerant and open to others.
3. Have richer lives for being able to partake in more cultures.
4. Can travel easier than others.
5. Have more job opportunities.
6. Are more able to become global citizens.
7. Can multitask better.
8. Can switch between tasks more quickly.
9. Are better drivers.
10. Can recognize differences in seemingly similar situations better.
11. Have better mental agility.
12. Have slower onset of dementia and Alzheimer Disease.
13. Have an easier time learning a 3rd and 4th language.
14. Have a better use of their original language.
15. Know their home language – structure, grammar, literacy …
16. Have better emotional control.
17. Are more social.
18. Are less racist.
19. Are more valuable for globalization efforts.
20. Are better bridge builders between communities.
21. Are better networkers.
22. Make more money.
23. Make better financial decisions.